Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Facebooking a Book of Faces

A FRIEND asked me. What is ethical or better--to unfriend someone or simply wait for the person to unfriend him/herself (by quietly leaving your list). For me, unfriending someone is pretty much kicking that individual out of your house. Harsh. Seldom I do that since mere presence in my house means I allowed it. But there are times when the person starts to annoy you like a cockroach, so you offer reminders to behave as per your "rules" since it's your house, your unit. (Facebook owns the building.) So if both of you mutually start to irk each other, then I unfriend. But usually I just let the person take the initiative to unfriend themselves quietly. It's a simple case of, if I visit a house or bar and I don't like what's in there or what the host is mumbling about, I just scoot out pronto. No harm no foul. Done.


          I do believe that an essentially accessible platform/venue like Social Media or Facebook, newspapers and TV and radio--are meant to gather people together to engage and dialogue for mutual good in pursuit of a realizable harmony in this world and to promote good and beautiful things (not the opposite). NOT to project dominance over the other or to widen the cracks that divide us. So I freely invite people who seem to be different from me. Talk. Speak. The road to mutual cool is never easy. We will argue and fight but we may agree later. That's my philosophy. But there are also instances when tolerance takes so much energy and time out of you. Time and energy that should have been used or consumed with those who are willing to compromise and negotiate. So unfriend. That's pretty much how I deal with my life, outside of the internet.

FACEBOOK and the (our) Wall that we need to climb and later turn into a bridge. Or why we can't get along? I TREAT my Facebook Wall as my house--that dabbles as my stage, living room, playground, magazine, porch, and frontyard. And although I share pics of my tiny bedroom, I don't share intimate details of my personal life other than I am Single and Heterosexual. Of course, I openly write that I am born Catholic, believes in God but not religious, Ananda Marga initiate, embraced Cherokee Nation, trained by a Buddhist ascetic, activist on the Left field. And I dated a Wiccan High Priestess and Born-again Christian and a Communist hardcore etc. Those are already TMI to some, right? I don't mind you knowing it--but no I am not going to tell y'all that one or two of those aftermidnight poems were written for her or her and not her, LOL! "Own" the poem and share it with your sweetheart, for what it's worth--that's the purpose of my poems.
          I share family stuff and things that I feel inspire universal good but not the dirty laundry (which is a normal in all of us, right?) although our share of "dirty laundry" aren't really that dramatic comparatively although I am sure dirty laundry in some of my siblings' house are piling up, literally (especially in Alma's). Uh huh, but not in mine or in my bro Alberto's because we are both OCDs (I am talking about the literal, okay?)
          But this is fun, you know. Fun! My Facebook is me. Serious-acerbic-condescending-highly opinionated. I straddle the middle so much so that I confuse people which side of the fence I am with or in. You gotta spend time with me to know--because the truth is, I adjust my elastic girth as per the world/life's changes although you can never force me to eat lots of breaded food or tolerate nasty kitchen sinks piled up with unwashed plates and yes, no unmade beds! I am a freakin' bedroom boy with a bedroom voice (again, the literal kind, yup).

          Cooking, playing with Georgia (she's a Belgian Malinois babedawg) and Cyd The Koolcat, gardening, poetry, my children and family which are REALLY corny-funny and weird-funny, my insane affinity with the Bee Gees, ramen noodles, old stuff, hyper corny love songs (except Celine Dion's). I love these things. Engage me with talk about anything! Objectivist epistemology, Camus existentialism, how Verlaine trained and toyed with Rimbaud, history of cinema, Mexican-American War, Hemingway's life as an ambulance driver, Lorca's Nueva York poems, Chinese Disco and Compact Disc, South China Sea, Treaty of Paris of 1898, Brexit, the Koch Brothers, the business of basketball and soccer, China's open door policy pre-Tiananmen Revolt and post-WTO, globalization and low intensity conflict--I will not back down. But I can also share redneck jokes and blonde jokes and Erap jokes and Pinoy brown jokes--as long as you don't go shattering my joke gig with some politically-correct yarn. I am not politically-correct UC Berkeley dude, dig? I can also talk about the Kardashians pre-Jenner amid-Robert, how many songs Taylor Swift devoted to her ex'es which you bought, and why I'd love to lecture about Paul Simon's catalogue and why Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" is his best poetry and why Hillary's centrist/polarizing fire fits America's global order designs, given the times.

          I can talk about Hagood The Snake and the new garden interpolator Mickey The Bug, or why Russia's Vlad Putin is a misunderstood dude that the Western media love to hate, or why we have to look at immigration beyond Mexicans crossing the border and refugees from Syria, and why kids do love my presence more than their mom (oh yeah!) There's a lot of things to talk about other than pissing people off with black and white and red and yellow mixed martial arts.
          My basic thought about a human being's possible motive about me does not hinge on whether he'd poison my already poisoned mind or he/she'll spike my pho with moonshine or Mercury Gatorade--but maybe you will enjoy my new lawyer jokes and you may love my super-awesome Mung Beans Supersoup PremiumPlus+. I want to rock with your light and not emo with your dark, feelin' me now?
          Meantime, yes this is my Wall. If you're getting sick and tired of/with my ruminations and rants, go somewhere else where there is free-trade coffee served via gentrification's blood, or in a locally-grown dive that serves tea from China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment